Connecting Muslim Professionals - December 19, 2011
Posted on: Dec 19, 2011 By: editor In: General
December 19, 2011
Dear CAMP Members and Supporters,
I hope that this message finds you all well! This will be our last message of 2011 and we have some important announcements to share with you.
Changing CAMP Leadership
This will be my last message to all of you as my tenure as Executive Director of CAMP ends on December 31, 2011. CAMP believes strongly in the successor model of leadership, and in leading by example. To us, the best leaders are those who stay a while and move on, paving the way for new leaders and new ideas.
Looking Back on 2011 and Our Achievements
CAMP had another banner year in 2011. We successfully reinstated CAMP National's premier annual event, our Leadership Summit (April 2011, Princeton, NJ) with keynotes Reza Aslan and Shazi Visram. This was followed by our very popular ISNA panel sessions and sold out Annual Dinner featuring the 30 Mosques duo (July 2011, Chicago, IL)
In addition to our CAMP National events, CAMP has been busy across its five chapters. We hosted over 50 events in 2011 including our signature monthly event, the Power Hour.
A few of our many talented guests in 2011 have included:
- Assad Akhter- Deputy Chief of Staff for Congressman Bill Pascrell (NJ) and co-founder and past President of the Congressional Muslim Staffers Association (CMSA)
- Sarab Al-Jijakli- Account Director (Integrated Global Advertising Technology) at Ogilvy and Mather and co-founder of the Network of Arab-American Professionals of NY (NAAP-NY)
- Qasim Basir - Writer/Director of MOOZ-lum The Movie
- Tasneem Osmani - Vice President at The Northern Trust Company
Our chapters have each also hosted annual dinners, annual iftars, recreational events and community service events throughout the year.
Looking Forward to 2012
CAMP's New Leadership
Please join me in congratulating and welcoming CAMP National's 2012 leadership team:
- Imran Eba, Executive Director - Imran has been Deputy Executive Director of CAMP since 2010. I asked him to join CAMP National in 2010 and am very happy that he will be taking on the Executive Director role in 2012. Imran works in a business development group of a major pharmaceutical company where he leads a team responsible for making investments in venture capital and biotech firms. Imran can be reached at Imran.Eba@camp-online.org.
- Uzma Kaleem, Deputy Executive Director - Imran has asked Uzma, President of CAMP-NY since 2009, to move into CAMP National as his Deputy Executive Director. Uzma is currently a Strategic Account Manager for Mimeo, an on demand print solution company. She is also co-founder of the Jewish-Muslim Volunteer Alliance.
- Sabrina Qureshi, Finance and Operations Director - Sabrina will continue in her role as Finance Director, and will also take on the role of Operations Director. She was also most recently the President of the CAMP Chicago Chapter, Co-Manager of the 2011 and 2009 CAMP Leadership Summit. Sabrina is currently a Research Operations Specialist and a Business Analyst for a financial research firm.
- Aamer Hayat, Special Projects Director - Aamer will continue in his role of Special Projects Director. Aamer is currently pursuing his entrepreneurial goals by developing and managing wellness centers in Central California
I have worked extensively with Imran, Uzma, Sabrina and Aamer in my years with CAMP and I have great confidence in this talented team.
2012 CAMP Leadership Summit - Save the Date!
We are all pleased to announce that CAMP will be hosting its 2012 Leadership Summit on April 21, 2012 at the Wyndham in Princeton, NJ. The conference this year will be in the able hands of CAMP's new conference manager, Zehra Naqvi.
Zehra is the co-founder of the Council of Shia Professionals (CSP) founded in 2008. CSP and CAMP have been partners in the New York area and we are very pleased when Zehra decided to join CAMP several months ago.
Please save the date for the 5th CAMP Leadership Summit - and stay tuned for details!
I have enjoyed my time with CAMP (2005-2011) in various roles, most recently as Executive Director (2010-2011). I was co-manager of CAMP's Leadership Summits in 2008, 2009 and 2011 and in great part, my involvement with and commitment to CAMP is built around a vision put forth in the 2008 Leadership Summit. Essentially, American Muslim professionals are a valuable resource to their communities and to each other. CAMP seeks to nurture American Muslim professionals by creating a safe inclusive authentic space for them to learn, develop and build trusting networks.
Our Leadership Summits have always resonated with people, and in 2010 and 2011, we felt it critical to scale its simple message and concept. My mission and objective as Executive Director was to strengthen CAMP by replicating the conference message and concept across our chapters.
In 2012, I will have some continued involvement with CAMP, as an advisor for the Leadership Summit and the development of CAMP's Board of Directors. Please feel free to connect with me on linkedin, facebook and twitter.
Best wishes for 2012 - and thank you all for your continued support!