PAKISTAN FLOOD RELIEF – AN URGENT CALL FOR ACTION MANHATTAN COMMUNITY RESPONSE
Assalamu Alaikum and Ramadan Mubarak! P-FAN and collaborating partners are joining hands to respond to the urgent needs of flood victims in Pakistan. We are collecting basic necessity items to start supporting immediate relief efforts working in conjunction with the Helping Hands, a NGO and Relief Organization on the ground in Pakistan.
THREE THINGS ARE NEEDED - FURTHER DETAILS BELOW
1. DONATED SUPPLIES
2. VOLUNTEERS TO BOX UP MATERIALS
Collection/Drop Off Point:
Park 51 Mosque (Lower Manhattan)
51 Park Place
Collection Days and Timings: Monday – Saturday, August 30th - September 4th
Monday – Thursday, 12 pm – midnight
Friday, after Jumuah prayer – midnight
Saturday – 6 pm – midnight
What We Need:
1. We are asking that people donate items that will serve in the emergency relief efforts on the ground in Pakistan (See list below). It would be greatly appreciated to receive food items and bottled water in bulk in order to make life saving packs for individual families. It is recommended that donors buy these items in bulk, if possible, from Costco or major food wholesalers, if possible. Otherwise, any and all food items on the list would be accepted and greatly appreciated.
2. We are also asking for volunteers to come to our drop off location to help us box up items on:
- Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 1-2, from 9 pm – midnight.
- Saturday 6 pm- midnight
If you are available to volunteer during these hours, please contact Benish Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org and just come to Park 51 mosque during these times and there will be volunteers there ready to help box up the donated items together.
3. We need volunteers who have cars in Manhattan to volunteer their time on Sunday, September 5th, to pick up the boxed items and help drive them to the Helping Hands Warehouse in Plainfield, NJ between 12-4 pm. If you have a car and can drive items, please contact Benish Shah at email@example.com and Hassan Khan at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and phone number. They will help coordinate this with you and the other drivers on the weekend.
Thank you and may Allah reward everyone’s efforts insha’Allah!
LIST OF PRIORITY ITEMS TO BE COLLECTED:
1. Instant Dry Whole Milk for Children and Families – small packs (Nestle, Nido, etc.)
2. Small packages of Pre-Packaged Dates
3. High Nutrition Biscuits or cookies (Parley, Glucose, etc.)
4. Food Packets Consisting of Tea, Sugar, Milk Powder, Vegetable Oil, Pulses and Spices
5. Bottled Water
6. Ready to eat vegetable canned foods like Black beans, Garbanzo beans (NOTE: must not be in any meat broth or must be halal and must NOT require a can opener)
7. Energy Bars, Cereal Bars, Breakfast bars
8. Nutritious Cereals (Various brands with NO MARSHMALLOWS)
Personal Hygene Items:
- Bar of Soap
- Hand Towels
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brushes
- Female Sanitary Napkins/Pads
- Washing Powder/Soap
- Cooking Utensils
- Mosquito Nets
- Blankets (NEW) – NOT TOO BULKY, MUST FIT IN A 16 X 12 X 12 BOX
- Bed Sheets (NEW)
6. Anti-Snake Venom
- Oral Rehydration Solution
- Mosquito Repellents
- Prickly Heat Powder
- Anti-Rash Creams for Children
- Water Purification Tablets and Units
- Candles/Match Boxes
- Flashlights and Batteries
Do not send vaccines and do not engage in mass immunization campaigns before consulting with WHO.
Used clothing, shoes: do not send! In most cases, the local community donates more than enough of these items to meet the demand. It is more economical, convenient and sanitary to purchase items locally than to ship used items.
Temporary shelter such as tents, do not send them! Temporary resettlements in relative houses or in public edifices are by far more appropriate than creating population displacement camps